Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah is calling for a UN resolution condemning religious insults, this story from Al Arabiya reports. This is a very bad idea. It also contradicts other things King Abdullah says, such as, “Dialogue strengthens moderation and ends reasons of conflict and extremism”. Dialogue necessarily involves differences of opinion. It’s not a dialogue when everyone is agreed, it’s a monologue.

People will disagree — sometimes vehemently, sometimes impolitely. That is where dialogue comes in, talking about the differences, seeing where they might be minimized, acknowledging where they’re fundamental. Quashing speech and opinion because some might find it, well, disagreeable, does not solve problems; it makes them more intractable.

Saudi King urges U.N. action against religious insults
AFP — Mina/Saudi Arabia

Saudi King Abdullah on Saturday demanded a U.N. resolution condemning insults on monotheistic religions after a low-budget film produced in the U.S. sparked deadly protests last month.

“I demand a U.N. resolution that condemns any country or group that insults religions and prophets,” he said during a meeting at his palace with religious figures and heads of hajj delegations in the Mina valley where pilgrims were performing final rituals of hajj.

“It is our duty and that of every Muslim to protect Islam and defend the prophets.”

Arab News‘s report gives a fuller text and context of the King’s message:

King urges UN resolution to stop insulting prophets

October:28:2012 - 08:38 | Comments & Trackbacks (9) | Permalink
9 Responses to “Missing the Point”
    October:28:2012 - 09:44

Contradictory messages yet again…polarities ensue

MAY the BIGGER IDEAL prevail which is FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!

May THOSE who seek to ENSLAVE us Be Exterminated (non violently of course :-) from EARTH

and

The F in Freedom BABY yEAH shall PREVAIL

Aunty May Said:
    October:29:2012 - 08:41

@Sparky,

Why is the King calling on the UN?….
    Let’s look at the current Saudi Religous Curriculum, which he is aware of, being taught in schools today.
    Does it promote peace, friendship and cooperation?

Is the UN listening to the King’s request?

Aunty May Said:
    October:29:2012 - 09:11

Is King Abdullah justified in demanding a U.N. resolution condemning insults on monotheistic religions?

“I demand a U.N. resolution that condemns any country or group that insults religions and prophets,” he said.

Does the link below promote peace and freedom?

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom….Aldous Huxley

Jerry M Said:
    October:29:2012 - 09:19

I assume the king’s comments are meant for local consumption. There is no chance of any resolution like this passing in the UN.

Lola Said:
    October:29:2012 - 09:20

October:29:2012 - 19:01

Aunty May excellent point @ #2 . . . It’s mind freaking boggling but after all the King is a politician not God but what drives me insane is when politicians cling to religious beliefs to maintain their political security and legitimacy. That quote by Huxley is somewhat true…I say somewhat because I disagree that most people want peace…they want material possessions…things that are tangible. Many like the feeling of defeating someone and being the victor.

How much are people really actually ready to DO to promote peace? What length is someone willing to go to achieve peace? What are they willing to sacrifice to promote peace, their office/position? their homes? their friends/support? their family? their homes? their wealth? their comfort? That is how they roll in Saudi though in terms of hanging on to religious beliefs to maintain legitimacy with the sheeple. That’s also how the Taliban, Al Qaeda and other nuts roll too.

Also your link in #3 in unavailable, when I click on it.

My new saying is, “I don’t give a darn what you believe, but I do care and what I will pay attention to is how you treat your fellow humankind NOT just those that subscribe to your PARTICULAR BELIEFS be they totally flippin twisted or not. In fact, I will look at even how you treat the animals of this world. I will judge you based on that.”

I cry for all the sheep slaughtered in Saudi, and am so happy I didn’t have to smell or see the disgusting sacrifices. I don’t believe someone can do bad things to themselves, people or even the world and fast a day or kill a sheep and have atonement.

I DO believe in being a good person EVERYDAY or striving for that and I DO believe I am to suffer in this world because very few people will DO for peace or really want it; thus, I feel I am alien to this world and its people in GENERAL. I hope I find like minded people. I’m glad I found you Aunty May :-) I may myself sound self righteous here, I realize that, but I want for peace. I vibrate LOVE…that is the highest frequency…I won’t kidnap or drop some bombs on someone to get them to think or believe the same. We are all given freedom and hopefully most of us will use it for the highest good of all mankind.

Dakota Said:
    November:03:2012 - 21:30

This nicely illustrates the root cause of the Arab Spring. If you don’t like something, what do you do, have a dialogue? No, you throw a tantrum and demand that whatever displeased you be destroyed.

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Dakota Said:
    November:03:2012 - 21:56

Polish musician convicted of tearing up a Bible on stage. The court says it doesn’t matter what the intention, only that it caused offense.

Lola Said:
    November:04:2012 - 07:28

Nearly half of 600 Muslim-American citizens polled who plan to vote in the 2012 presidential election believe parodies of Muhammad should be prosecuted criminally in the U.S., and one in eight say the offense is so serious violators should face the death penalty.

The poll also found 40 percent of Muslims in America believe they should not be judged by U.S. law and the Constitution, but by Shariah standards.

While 9 of 10 of the Muslim respondents said they agree with the First Amendment, they are also in conflict with it, Wenzel said, citing evidence in answers to “another question in the survey which found that one-third of Muslims – 32 percent – believe Shariah should be the supreme law of the land in the United States,” Wenzel said.

“Another shocking finding from the survey is how Muslims view the religious freedoms of Christians. Asked whether U.S. citizens who are Christians have the right to evangelize Muslims to consider other faiths, just 30 percent agreed Christians have such a right. Another 42 percent said they do not have such a right, while 28 percent said they were unsure on the question.”

One in five say Muslim men should be allowed to follow their religion in America and have more than one wife, and 58 percent said criticism of their religion or of Muhammad should not be allowed under the Constitution.