Emad El Din Adeeb, writing in Asharq Alawsat, makes the point that many Arabs and Muslims fear. Whenever an atrocity is committed these days, particularly if against civilians or members of other faiths, there is a dread that arises. Will the perpetrator be Arab or Muslim? Can it not, just for once, be someone else?

In the first moments following the shootings in Toulouse, France, Western media seemed to accommodate this hope. Reports were suggesting that the killer was, perhaps, a white, neo-Nazi, a skinhead of some sort, maybe another Anders Breivik. That turn out to not be the case. Instead, it is another angry Muslim shedding innocent blood through his beliefs in a perverted form of Islam.

But it’s all Muslims who get tagged with the terrorist label, not just those following a violent strain of it. Directly or indirectly, all Muslims find themselves under the cloud of suspicion and hatred; all Arabs; all North African immigrants in France.

A rabbi and four three children, along with French military personnel (some of whom were themselves Arab Muslims) were killed by mortal shots in Toulouse. Islam and its adherents took a non-fatal blow, but a serious one.

What now after Toulouse?
Emad El Din Adeeb

What I dreaded and duly warned against in my article a few days ago – regarding my fear about the “Toulouse crime” in which four people were killed, three being children – has happened.

At the conclusion of my column, I wrote “due to all this, I pray to God that the perpetrator is not one of us”, meaning that he is not of Arab or Muslim descent, or a member of the French North African expatriate community.

Unfortunately, the perpetrator was identified as young Mohamed Merah, an Arab Muslim of Algerian descent who belonged to a third generation of North African immigrants, having been born in France and acquired French citizenship. However, Merah would later come to reject French society, imprisoned in his own misconceptions and extremist thoughts, whilst adopting Arab and Islamic slogans.

Mohamed Merah, by declaring that he was an Arab and a Muslim who advocated al-Qaeda’s ideology, and following the discovery of the arsenal of weapons he was hiding in his house, has greatly improved the reputation and standing of Mrs. Marine Le Pen, president of the extremist right-wing Front National party, known for its radical trend against French minorities, mainly the Arab Muslim immigrants, who were already suspected of the crimes in Toulouse.

In the same issue:

Sarkozy to bar radical imams from entering France

March:26:2012 - 07:35 | Comments & Trackbacks (21) | Permalink
21 Responses to “Double Damage”
    dan Said:
    March:26:2012 - 10:00

Considering that 2 of Merah’s military victims were French muslims of North African origin, it would totes be fair to say that adherents of Islam took a fatal blow too…….

dan Said:
    March:26:2012 - 10:11

Actually, make that three – I just checked the identities of his military victims and they are: Imad ibn Ziaten, Abel Chennouf and Mohammed Legouf. A fourth French squaddie-victim was of Caribbean origin.

The victims at the school were the Rabbi and 3, not 4, kids.

And given the racial/religious origins of the initial victims, there was no shortage of speculation – at least in Europe – that the shooter was a right-wing extremist.

Jerry M Said:
    March:26:2012 - 15:12

I have not heard any public outcry from Muslim leaders to stop targetting Jews.

jay kactuz Said:
    March:26:2012 - 23:06

I don’t believe that all Muslims should be tagged with the ‘terrorist’ label – using your words – but I think it is fair to put them under a cloud of suspicion and dislike, given their devotion to an ideology that denigrates others, their love for a man that did so many evil things and, particularly, the fact that Muslims, everywhere they dominate, discriminate and oppress non-Muslims.

I think that position is very reasonable.

This will happen again and again. There is nothing that Europe or the US can do that will appease these people. In large numbers, Muslims cannot live as equals in peace with non-Muslims. Collectively, they will either be a violent, unhappy minority or an intolerant, violent majority. That is the way it is.

March:27:2012 - 02:09

Jay it doesn’t have to be that way!

Nothing HAS to be any particular way APART from how We the people CHOOSE it to be…

Nobody has to do anything! Only religiously and racist diluted brains think that way…absolutes…

So it’s as simple as getting oneself or even others to think differently

Interfaith dialogue is important…knowing we are all living and breathing because of the same creator or accident (as some believe). It doesn’t matter

Majed Said:
    March:29:2012 - 04:51

It was a jewish shcool for God sake,because jews are so lovly and sweet people, you won`t find them but in citadel or castls,where were the cameras and security staff of that school, it was a jewish school after all, they are the Lords of the world and wars,we all love them,but some say it loud and clear and some feel shy,and some are burried under their favors that they can not release a sigh,if the shooter was not a Nazist, then it is all but well directed Drama for political scores,just like everything else nowadays,why didnt they catch that man alive,was it that difficult a thing for the elite of the elite french forces to do,he was meant to die to make sure there was no loose ends.

As for muslims not being able to coexisit,that is a big lie, it is the clean, beautiful and shining white hands that make everything it touchs dirty,it srpeads bad blood among people,other faiths always lived happily with Islam for many many centuries in Iraq,Syria,Egypt,Jordan,morocco,spain,india and the luckiest with muslims were the jews as along as they did not stab in the back, which is so inherent habbit and they can not come over becaue they wont be jews then,if you bring incidents that says otherwise, well shit happens no matter how clean we are,because if it did not happen we all die.

Saudi Jawa Said:
    March:29:2012 - 18:51

Ah conspiracy theories and antisemitism. How well they go hand in hand! :)

March:29:2012 - 19:09

A match made in Hell. Unlike many marriages, though, it seems to be a durable one.

March:30:2012 - 03:16

Majed what you have said is very mean spirited and quite simply after having read many of your comments I’ve come to the conclusion you are a Jew hater.

Don’t worry cause it is when attitudes such as as yours persist that it will only be a matter of time when Muslims are the sweet ones who people are jokingly saying are having to hides in their little mosques and castles.

There were holy men and children slaughtered…It is a disgrace and perpetrator was no doubt a racist Jew Hater infused with anger in the name of Allah the God who asks us to kill those who are not like us! right?! Some God!

Majed Said:
    March:31:2012 - 06:32

To hate is a basic human right just like the right to love,I wonder why people don`t call those who hate Muslims(Muslim hater)may be because,we Muslims have become like prostitutes boobs anyone can press while going up and down the street, and no one sees anything wrong about it.

Actually, people commenting on this blog,are more Jewish than the Jews,yesterday I watched a programme on FRENCH TV discussing Toulouse shooting and who might have done it,French are divided among themselves the wise and just among them were not so sure about what really happened ,and are angry about the way government handled it,and, how it was like the American version drama of 9/11 so very cloudy,they are wondering how come they did not hear the MAN talking,and why everything is one side (police/government) story and why he had to (die)in that one storey nonfatal fall,and supposedly been shot while falling by a sniper,at least those french have enough decency to still call him suspect killer not the killer as the respected people in this respected blog tend to call him and so sure, as if they had tried him and found him guilty of all charges.

If such standard of treatment applies to Toulouse suspect,in the same manner you should have called the scoundrel that had slaughtered more than a dozen innocent Afghans,a racist,Muslim hater,crusader and christian extremist, and in the same way they should have taken that incident as a pretext to comb all similar elements out of the democracy spreading forces in Afghanistan and Iraq,and the illegitimate sons of Israel like Sarkozy,Obama,Pop and etc should have condemned and lamented the massacre the same way.
    listen to this,I dont how many liked to hug him for this but only the lucky few could.

March:31:2012 - 08:06

@Majed: Some things can indeed be ‘cloudy’. Others can be crystal clear. Things as reported by the media can be either or both. Crossroads Arabia has been consistent in calling out those who malign Islam and Muslims with no cause. Do a search from the front page on ‘Islamophobia’ to see for yourself.

March:31:2012 - 10:41

Majed…majed…I didn’t say you don’t have a right to hate I just said or labelled you (if you will) a Jew HATER which you don’t deny. It is obvious in your writing and hatred will only breed more hatred. Nonstop cycle. Yes, there are Muslim haters too. There aren’t any on this blog to my knowledge. There are a Muslim fearers but all out haters I have’t come across any or if i did it was only on a brief basis as John usually asks them to go elsewhere if they have nothing of value to add other than hate.

What that soldier did you mentioned was disgusting and barbaric. I’m sure he will be held accountable for his actions. The fact that he is a soldier and at war in a foreign country doesn’t give him the right to take the piss out of civilians and slaughter them either like animals. Wrong is wrong irrespective of race, color, creed or religion. A Muslim worker in the prison in Aghganistan went crazy and started going down the street saying they are burning the Qurans “kill em”. You don’t kill people for burning qurans and the afgans are the last people I’d like to see in any type of leadership position in the world. They in my humble opinion should raise their opium, get high and stick to themselves and pray and worship Allah if they want to as well. I’ve seen what they have done to woman and they deserve to be strung up by their testicles.

I’m not Jewish, but I like all people including Jewish and my heart goes out to them because of the persecution they have suffered from historically. I also have read materials of a few rabbi and they have more wisdom they all the imans put together. Sorry but that is the truth. Or sorry but that is my truth. I have never read material from a rabbi asking people to hate. They are all about uplifting mankind “all mankind”.

I don’t know what type of French people you are talking about above…the same French people who have banned the niqab and hijab in some cases. Please don’t compare the French to the AMERICANS. Il y a beaucoup de differences entre les deux.

Governments aren’t pissing around anymore, you look guilty and you gun slinging you gonna get sniped or swiped if you lucky.

March:31:2012 - 10:55

@ #10 Wait nobody has a right to touch the boobs of anyone walking up or down the street. F_ck Man you nuts. Don’t assume every woman up or down a street is a prostitute for your safety sake! Means don’t grope or else KALI

Kali! I need Dark Mother to deal with these issues…

March:31:2012 - 11:14

I will ask Allah to guide your heart in love and compassion…as I ask him to guide mine too.

May Love fill our hearts even at times when it is difficult. I have to be careful as I have the power to project right now or these days. So let us (me) project loving compassion.

jay kactuz Said:
    March:31:2012 - 22:16

Sparky, no it doesn’t have to be, but it depends entirely on Muslims. The problem is that the radicals actually believe the Quran and act upon it and the example of their dear prophet. The so-called moderates, the ‘good Muslims’, pretend that it is all a “big mistake” and the Quran doesn’t say what it says or that Mohammad didn’t actually do the things their own traditions say he did. So it is not “we the people” but “they the Muslims” who must make choices. Vou esperar sentado.

Then Muslims wonder why things are they way they are and they blame it on the evil infidels for thinking and saying things they prefer to ignore. The only interfaith dialogue that makes sense is asking Muslims “So when are you going to stop the hate and violence?” Anything less not only a waste of time but an insult to the death, injured and persecuted.

And so we have things like this:
    Quote: Suspected Muslim insurgents staged the most deadly coordinated attacks in years in Thailand’s restive south, killing 14 people and injuring 340 with car bombs that targeted Saturday shoppers …More than 5,000 people have been killed in Thailand’s three southernmost provinces… since an Islamist insurgency flared in January 2004.

Yeah, those Buddhists and/or shoppers are known for the oppression and violence. Poor Muslims!

Majed Said:
    April:01:2012 - 05:56

First of all I want to clear one thing with “Illegitimate sons of Israel (I did not mean the prophet but the state.

I noticed that even though I keep rejecting the idea that attacks such as 9/11 and Toulouse could not have been committed by muslims,yet people here try to slip on me the dirty gown of calling for killing innocent people,how did they reach to that conclusion? may from the word hate I use,but does hating necessitate unprovoked killing ? while others who say everything against muslims without using the word I (hate) muslims,they are considered only muslim fearers, OK, now on I will say everything except the magic word hate,I hope that will make them happy,and make me Jews fearer, or may be because those muslim fearers are as sticky as themselves, and have as big mouths as theirs, that is why they feel wet even before opening fire on them,then I have to excuse them,It is safer for you to keep calling them muslim fearers.

As for what is happening in Thailand it is not very difficult to understand,it is not matter of muslims or non muslims it is just like Irish National liberation army,Basque separatist,southern Sudan,Moro nationalist movement,Tamil tiger,Indian ULFA,Kashmir separatists etc. All are people engaged in a struggle for their rights of decent existence and want to preserve their identity,and want stop unfair exploitation of their resources and to prevent induced demographic changes,factors of each specific ground determine what lines of action they adopt they know best, we are not to judge the involved parties, violations are committed by all sides,so far only east Timur and Southern Sudan were lucky because they were Christians fighting against muslim,but from my point of view, countries should not be divided over whatever differences and unity should be maintained at any cost with maximum degree of fair treatment possible provided to all citizens.

As for the Man (pbuh)we follow,who has committed bad things as some say ,This MAN have single handedly made an ever lasting change in the pace of human history and brought a great nation to being with less than 400 muslim and non muslim lives lost in all of his battles total of 28 battles, check your testaments it is no less than 2.5 millions death,follwoing him is the only best thing in our existence.

April:01:2012 - 09:44

Everything seems o.k. up till “no less than 2.5 million death, follwoing him is the only best thing in our existence”

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding and please don’t tell me Prophet Mohammed is responsible for 2.5 million deaths, as that will make me sick right now. I won’t look it up because I don’t believe it…although Jay is our Islamic Scholar on xroads lol, so I would look to clarification from him. I’ve read a lot of Mohammed, and I admire what I have read but haven’t read that!

To genuinely win over one’s heart and mind and affection requires no bombs, guns or weapons. That is sustainable all else perishes into the nothingness…

May the long time sun shine upon us all…humankind

Lola Said:
    April:01:2012 - 10:08

(CNSNews.com) – The Obama administration says it will not prosecute a Saudi Arabian national who the administration claimed in congressional testimony entered the United States on a student visa and then was arrested after threatening to blow up the White House.

On March 6, top officials from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) told the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security in both written and verbal testimony that DHS had arrested a Saudi national who was “threatening to blow up the White House and the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission to the United States.”

A U.S. anti-terrorism law–18 U.S.C. 113B–says that a “person who, without lawful authority, uses, threatens, or attempts or conspires to use, a weapon of mass destruction … (3) against any property that is owned, leased or used by the United States or by any department or agency of the United States, whether the property is within or outside of the United States; or 4) against any property within the United States that is owned, leased, or used by a foreign government, shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life, and if death results, shall be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life.”

Read it all.

April:01:2012 - 10:23

@Lola: Sorry, I have far better uses of my time than reading CNS. It and Debka File are great sources for crazy conclusion jumping.

Lola Said:
    April:01:2012 - 10:47

Special to WorldTribune.com

WASHINGTON — A Saudi national has lost his student visa to the U.S. after triggering “several indicators of national security concerns”.

House committee members did not ask Edge for details of the Saudi
    detainee. ICE has not released additional information.

Officials said the Saudi, who was not identified, was a young man who entered the United States on a student visa. They said the Saudi was arrested in January and also threatened to blow up the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission to the United States.

The arrest of the Saudi was reported in wake of a U.S. pledge to
    significantly increase visas for students from the Gulf Cooperation Council kingdom. Saudi students were severely restricted from entering the United States after
    Al Qaida’s suicide air attacks on New York and Washington in 2001. One of the Saudi attackers had entered the United States on a student visa.

April:01:2012 - 11:30

@Lola: I don’t doubt the outline of the articles. Because ICE/DOJ/DHA did not explain why no charges were filed, that leaves a void. One can either guess what the reasons were — like ‘Obama is a secret Muslim!!!1! — or acknowledge that we don’t know why. I could guess, perhaps correctly, perhaps not, that: they deemed the Saudi a mental case who had no way of actually doing what he threatened; that bringing him to trial would be expensive; that deporting him back to Saudi Arabia and let the Saudi government deal with him was the best solution. Is my guess more accurate? I don’t know. I do know it is no more or less accurate than any harebrained conclusion anyone else can jump to. Except that mine more realistically fits in with past government practices and my experience of the way government works. Doesn’t make it right, of course…