I had the chance to meet with young Saudi poet Lama Feher Alsharif. She’s recently published a collection of her poems, Not Me, which explores questions of identity. Whether as a woman, a human, an Arab, a Muslim, a Saudi, a sister, a daughter, a friend… identifying oneself to oneself is the element that underlays all else.

Her poetry is passionate, as in ‘Violated yet Undefeated’:

You’ve come to us to liberate
Embellished with white, red and blue
all you’ve done is violate
of our strength you haven’t a clue

It’s personal as in ‘My Father’:

My father is of the greatest men
Who walk this earth today
All he wishes is for his children
To never be led astray

The poetry is, to my mind, of mixed quality, something not uncommon for a young writer. But Ms Alsharif shows promise. I hope she can find a Western publisher to give her greater exposure.

October:20:2007 - 13:43 | Comments & Trackbacks (11) | Permalink
11 Responses to “Saudi Poet Lama Feher Alsharif”
    Liela Jamjoom Said:
    October:30:2007 - 12:38

I read the passionate words of Lama Feher AlSharif, and i was deeply touched. She is an amazing writer, and importantly such an amazing person. She constantly strives to do better.Indeed, she is the ultimate example of a Muslim woman.

Naeema Farooqi Said:
    November:20:2007 - 03:16

This young woman has amazing potential…her work is passionate,thought provoking and touching. She will go places, InshaAllah

John Baker Said:
    January:31:2008 - 17:34

I have read a couple pages, this Saudi poet is a Genius i must say, very nice poems.

Ali Al-Majnooni Said:
    February:10:2008 - 17:30

Hi

I am really proud of the poet as she proofed promising.

P.S. I have been looking for her book since I first knew about it. Could you kindly tell me where I can get it? Thanks in advance.

Ali

February:10:2008 - 18:07

I’ve only found the book in Saudi Arabia as the publisher is Saudi and doesn’t seem to have any foreign distribution. If you’re in the KSA, then I can only suggest trying the major bookstores. If you’re not there, then I guess you can only wait.

Ali Al-Majnooni Said:
    February:12:2008 - 09:40

Hi John,

I am in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I searched for the book in Jarir Bookstores and Tihama Bookstores, but didn’t find it. Do you know where I can find it.

Thanks.

Ali

February:12:2008 - 09:52

I’m sorry, but I don’t. I was handed a copy of the book by a friend of the writer. I passed my copy along to another Saudi publisher.

Let me ask Ms Alsharif.

Ali Al-Majnooni Said:
    February:16:2008 - 15:30

I will be happy to know.
    Thanks a million in advance, John.
    I have been looking for this book since I first heard about it a few months ago.

February:21:2008 - 12:22

I’ve heard from Ms Alsharif on how to get her book. Unfortunately, she has no international publisher, but it is available for purchase in some Jeddah bookstores. She provides the following list:

1. Carrefoure Hypermarket [Hay Al-Sulaimaniah]
    2. Al-Raya [Sari St.]
    3. Rawa’i Alfaisal [Alfaisalia]
    4. Supermarket AlBurj AlAli [Kilo 16]
    5. Maktabat Haneen [AlSawary in Malik Road]
    6. Maktabat AlZahra’a [Palestine St.]
    7. Maktabat Fahad [Moh'd Abdulwahab St.]
    8. Maktabat Al-Intishar [Markaz Mall at AlRaya roundabout]
    9. Maktabat AlKarama [Almusal Building in King Abdulaziz St.]
    10. Qurtasiyaat Hareeda [Palestine St.]
    11. Maktabat AlRayan [Dawwar AlTareekh]

Lama Alsharif Said:
    April:19:2008 - 14:45

Hi Mr. John,

I’m pleased to inform you and anyone else who’s interested that my book is now being sold in Jareer :) finally.

Wishing you all the best.

Abdullatif Sultan Said:
    May:23:2010 - 10:04

Assalamu Allaykum

May Allah bless you Lama and your family, I wish you all the best to convey your message.

I know your family when you were in Washington your Dad is great man.

May Allah be pleased with you and grant you all the best

Sincerely